Re: Data ... who is the owner?

Read the license agreement at the data source.

Generally, you do not own it. When you "buy" software, you do not own it either. You are not actually buying it. You are buying a license to use it and the title remains with the seller.

Most such providers also have terms for transferring the license to a third party.

If it is freely available, as with Yahoo data, you probably would not get in trouble giving it to someone else.

But if you paid money to use it, you can get in trouble if you transfer it to someone else unless you follow the terms of the license agreement. If you do anything that deprives the provider of revenue, you are liable for damages if they want to pursue it.

I am not a lawyer but I think these things are not "products" in the legal sense. They are "intellectual property" (IP).

Bob Fulks

At 08:03 AM 5/14/2005, you wrote:1