RE: Re[2]: External backup drives for multiple PCs

BIOS here lists some USB devices for booting.  Never tried.  Expect it
works.

-----Original Message-----
From: Code 2 [mailto:code2@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, 3 May 2005 12:19 PM
To: Omega Listserver
Subject: Re[2]: External backup drives for multiple PCs

> Boot from a USB drive?  Check the BIOS on the machine.  Press Del or
> F2 during bootup and check out the boot sequence options.  It either
> will or won't list USB.  Beware, make sure you exit without
> making/saving changes if you don't understand the options. It's a good

> way render the machine inoperable otherwise.

I've never tried this myself, but I believe USB devices connect at the
operating system level, rather than the BIOS level.  If so, I expect USB
devices are not bootable.

Kanguru Systems ( http://kanguru.com/ ) makes a series of removable hard
disks that are bootable.  They connect to the IDE controller, so they're
much faster than USB 2.0.  The two biggest drawbacks, however, are
they're not hot-swappable and they're more costly than external USB
drives.