Re[2]: External backup drives for multiple PCs

Thanx! Didn't know they existed. I'd really miss the drawer tho.

Michael

At 09:19 PM 5/2/2005, Code 2 wrote:
> Boot from a USB drive?  Check the BIOS on the machine.  Press Del or
> F2 during bootup and check out the boot sequence options.  It either
> will or won't list USB.  Beware, make sure you exit without
> making/saving changes if you don't understand the options. It's a
> good way render the machine inoperable otherwise.

I've never tried this myself, but I believe USB devices connect at the
operating system level, rather than the BIOS level.  If so, I expect
USB devices are not bootable.

Kanguru Systems ( http://kanguru.com/ ) makes a series of removable
hard disks that are bootable.  They connect to the IDE controller, so
they're much faster than USB 2.0.  The two biggest drawbacks, however,
are they're not hot-swappable and they're more costly than external
USB drives.