From: "Mike Gossland" <mgmail@xxxxxxx>
To: "Chris Cheatham" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Omega List"
<omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 4:38 PM
Subject: Re: last complete bar on chart

> At 02:53 PM 4/24/2005, Chris Cheatham wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am stuck. Trying to write a function in TS 8.1 similar in function to
> >lastbaronchart, except I need it to return true ONLY for the last
COMPLETE
> >bar on chart on an "update every tick" indicator. For example, if I add
the
> >indicator to the chart and it is 11:13,  and we're working on the 11:15
> >five-minute bar, I need it to return true for the 11:10 bar so I can
trigger
> >drawing code that is too complex to run real time. (With tls drawn on a
real
> >time bar, they must be theoretically redrawn on every tick, can't be
drawn
> >once and left alone. ) Any ideas would be appreciated. Seems so basic,
but
> >I've been playing with it off and on for three days and have not come up
> >with anything practical.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Chris
>

> Hi Chris
>
> I'm not sure whether BarStatus can be of use to you here, but you can look
into it. Here is the Help entry on this Function:

> -----------------------------
>
> BarStatus(Reserved Word)
>
> This reserved word is used with multiple data series (same symbol,
different data intervals) or ActivityBar studies to determine whether the
current tick is the opening or closing tick of a bar in the other data
series, or whether it is a trade 'inside the bar.'

> BarStatus(DataNum)
>
> DataNum is a numeric expression representing the data stream that is being
evaluated. 1 refers to Data1, 2 to Data2 and so on. DataNum can be between 1
and 50, inclusive.

> Notes:
>
> This reserved word will return one of four possible values:
>
> 2 = the closing tick of a bar
> 1 = a tick within a bar
> 0 = the opening tick of a bar
> -1 = an error occurred while executing the reserved word
>
> The data series referenced must be applied to the chart. For example, to
use BarStatus (2), a second data series must be applied to the chart.

> Example
>
> To perform an operation when the ActivityBar is the last trade of the
'big' bar, you could write:

> If BarStatus(1) = 2 Then
>  {Your Operation Here} ;
>
> . where Data1 is the price chart, and your analysis technique is an
ActivityBar study.

> Additional Example
>
> The following statements reset the numeric variable Value1 to 0 when the
bar to which the ActivityBar study is applied is closed:

> If BarStatus(1) = 2 Then
>  Value1 = 0
> Else
>  Value1 = Value1 + 1;

> Also, perhaps instead of drawing on the last tick of a fully formed bar,
you could trigger off the first tick of a new bar, and draw with the data up
to the just finished bar.

> It is easy to detect whether you are at the first tick on a new bar - just
save the current bar date/time in a global variable, and retrieve the
previously saved ones to see if the current one is different.