To: "Allen Marshall" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Blank Strategy Performance Report - FIXED!
From: "David Rosenthal" <davidrnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:07:10 -0700

----

Allen, Michael, Jeff,

I'm pleased to report that I've been able to solve the problem of the
non-operative
Blank Strategy Performance Report *without* re-installing Tradestation.
Fortunately, I also had the program installed on my laptop machine, and that
one
continued working.  I found a program called DLLExplorer on the web, and
this
allowed me to do a comparison of the DLL's and OCX components that both
copies of
Tradestation were using when running the Performance Report.  This led to
the
discovery that the non-functional copy was using an earlier version of
VCF132.OCX.
This is the popular Formula One spreadsheet component that TS2Ki is using
for the
Performance Report.  It had been overwritten by the earlier version when I
recently
installed VISIO 2000 on my machine.  I unregistered the bad copy and
re-registered
the good copy, and now I can do Performance Reports again.  (I'm afraid my
scream of
triumph may have disturbed the neighbors...)

The interesting thing about this is that it wasn't really Omega's fault -
the
responsibility for this kind of "DLL Hell" problem lies squarely with
Microsoft's
original lousy design for DLL's and OCX's.  Omega's mistake was in using
Microsoft
tools in the first place...

Best regards,

  David Rosenthal