RAM & swap file (paging file)

one other setting that seems to help is to fix the windows swap file size
rather than letting windows manage it.

I have both my min and max at 2048MB  ( i don't know why, just anecdotal
experience which has worked on a succession of upgrades)

also have 1 Gb RAM on a 2.4 intel, collecting 44 symbols

so, 30 years plus 15, when you started? .... makes me a little older than
you

chasw

Subject: RE: Off topic motherboards

> I have been around computers for close to 30 yrs, both hardware and
> software. The biggest one thing you can do for any system is to add
memory.
> WHY? Because as soon as ANY program has to be swapped out to disc because
it
> doesn't have physical memory, regardless whether it is the program itself
or
> the data it is using (ie, GS) that takes a LOT of overhead time to do
that.
> It can make a system appear to lockup for periods of time until it has
moved
> stuff it doesn't need out and moves the stuff it is trying to access in.
>
> Not saying faster MBoards with dual processors, etc aren't a good thing.
> They are! But as you add more symbols to TS, regardless of the revision,
you
> need more memory, period.
>
> I build my own systems, and currently have a single processor(2.4ghz),
ASUS