Re: RAM & swap file (paging file)

All the guys I know in IT swear by the rule of thumb, (min) swap size = RAM x 2.

RAM is dirt cheap, I always fill out a system with as much as the motherboard can handle.
Disk access time performance is quoted in "ms", RAM access time is quoted in "ns", that's a
10^6 difference (not to mention data transport speeds drops of similar magnitude), this alone
should tell you disk swap should be only used to prevent a system crash and not for day-to-day
usage.

For what its worth, the two best system changes I ever made were to max out the RAM
and install a second monitor (you'd be surprised how much extra productivity comes from
being able to drag a slow web page or program onto a second monitor).

Hope this helps,

Justin

---

ChasW wrote:

one other setting that seems to help is to fix the windows swap file size
rather than letting windows manage it.

I have both my min and max at 2048MB ( i don't know why, just anecdotal
experience which has worked on a succession of upgrades)

also have 1 Gb RAM on a 2.4 intel, collecting 44 symbols

so, 30 years plus 15, when you started? .... makes me a little older than
you

chasw

Subject: RE: Off topic motherboards

I have been around computers for close to 30 yrs, both hardware and
software. The biggest one thing you can do for any system is to add

memory.

WHY? Because as soon as ANY program has to be swapped out to disc because

it

doesn't have physical memory, regardless whether it is the program itself

or

the data it is using (ie, GS) that takes a LOT of overhead time to do

that.

It can make a system appear to lockup for periods of time until it has

moved

stuff it doesn't need out and moves the stuff it is trying to access in.

Not saying faster MBoards with dual processors, etc aren't a good thing.
They are! But as you add more symbols to TS, regardless of the revision,

you

need more memory, period.

I build my own systems, and currently have a single processor(2.4ghz),

ASUS

board with 1g of ram.