Re: IB R T data auto turned off

Riley Robertson wrote:

I am using HSL lite successfully with IB real time data.

I noticed, daily at around 10:00pm pst  IB data will be turned off on
its own.
When I try to sign back on, it will say INCORRECT sign in name.
If I let it be and turn off the pc, signing back in the next morning
will be ok.

Actually, IB takes a nap for about an hour during the time you mention.
IB has 3 different sets of servers, all of which takes a one hour nap at
their respective times(about 2300 local time). You are at their US
servers. You can call IB and move your account to European server or to
the HK server. If you do that, you would still have one hour downtime,
but it would at european or HK midnight.

The incorrect login part... for some reason, IB likes to make it as hard
as possible for their customers to get data. Trust me on this one.. I
have seen them for a while. They provide realtime data for free for a
few tickers(at least 40, maybe more), but you gotta work for it. Why, it
beats me. Their successive release of TWS makes it increasingly harder
for you to use some automated way to relogin. And if you are not doing
it manually, TWS's behavior is too unpredictable to automate it with any
degree of accuracy. see
http://www.e-minitraders.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=479 for an autoit
script. You need to register.

During the market hours, I notice IB data will be turned on and off on
its own.

This I am not sure. IB during daytime is highly reliable - I rarely, if
ever experience disconnect etc. - maybe ISP issue? During fast markets,
ECBOT always craps out in IB. But GLOBEX works just fine. So it may be
part IB issue, some ECBOT issue.

Is there any method I can adjust its nightly maintenance to be the same?

See above. Use automated way to reconnect after 2400 CST, do it manually
or move your account to a different server. But moving to a HK server
would probably have a guaranteed one hour outage in the middle of US
trading - so it's probably not an option.

I intend to leave for 2 weeks by leaving a desktop running IB real time
data and HSL on 24/7.

This way I can collect the 10 days data unless of course, if there is a
electric short circuit.

If you are able to do this unattended for 2 weeks, well... It would take
a lot of coding & testing to pull it off.

Abhijit

PS : Bottom line.. if you need data for a lot of symbols, on demand, and
 don't want to bother with all these hassles, forget IB as a data feed.
I just track some index futures realtime, during day session, so it's
fine for me. But say if you are a euro fut trader, IB is just too much
bother as a data feed - look elsewhere. Cool thing about IB is if your
account isn't too fat (like me), just started out a while ago and wants
to keep overheads low, IB is unbeatable. Example - you think crude it
hot.. lot's of movement - let's trade it. For most every data provider,
you need to cough up some money for NYMEX "access" + about $60 or so for
data, per month, just to check it out. In IB, just get the dang data for
a while, get a chart going and trade it.