Re: Uptick: Tick-based futures trading engine .NET or Java

Michael,

>A jobsearch on monster.com today yielded the following numbers of job
>openings:
>
>Java       "more than 5000" (est. >8000)
>C++       4165
>.NET      2911 (including C#)
>C#         1624  (C# only)
>Perl        2572
>Python     201
>
>Not having any large commercial backers, Python is still a bit on the
>sidelines, just like Perl was about 10 years ago, even though in many ways
>Python is the most modern of the pack. As of now, Java is king.

And it will probably remain so for a while.  What you see above
reflects widespread corporate need to support legacy software.  It
doesn't reflect what programmers actually are using these days to
develop new products from the ground up.

In the 1980s, when everybody was DEVELOPING new software in C, and
later C++, the job ads were 99% requests for COBOL programmers,
because nearly all businesses had huge investments in their legacy
COBOL-based software.  Now you can hardly find anyone who knows
COBOL anymore, let alone a a company that still uses it.  I doubt
it's even taugt anymore at any university.

However, I have heard rumors that Java programmers are migrating
in droves to Python, using it instead of Java when there is an
opportunity to do so.  I would venture a guess that there's a huge
amount of DEVELOPMENT of new software going on in Python, but the
job ads are still asking for Java and C++.  Just like in the 1980s
when job ads wanted COBOL but everyone was doing new stuff in C.

>Remember that when you are developing in Java, Perl, or Python, you
>are in fact developing for Windows, too (plus practically every
>other OS on the face of the planet).

That's the best reason to use any of those.  A trading platform
written in Java or Python could run on a supercomputer, for example,
(and no supercomputer uses anything made by Microsoft).  Or it could
run on an efficient (and secure) unix-based server that integrates
server functions (data feeds) with trading software.  Or it could
run on a Mac as well as a Windows PC.  Get away from Windows-centric
development and the possibilities are endless.

-A