Re: OT : Dumb spam blockers

Abhijit,

>I received an email from a certain individual from this list, who is using
>some sort of spam blocking tool, which is generating automated replies to my
>post, requiring me to reply to that message to get the privilege of finally
>arriving the individuals inbox. (Man.. am I honored!)

This is called a Challenge/Response (C/R) system.  A lot of clueless
people have been implementing this to protect themselves from spam.

Unfortunately, these idiots don't know that since the vast majority
of mail from unknown senders is spam, most of the challenges
will be nothing but unnecessary email traffic (i.e. a spammer
forges forging my email address as in the From header, so I get
constantly challenged for mail I never sent).  C/R also misbehaves
in mailing lists, and also internet transactions that require email
confirmations from a 3rd party server.

My policy now is to respond to any bogus challenges I get, so that
the spam is delivered to the person operating the C/R system.

See http://www.politechbot.com/p-04746.html

-Alex