Internet Security

In the spirit of helping all on the Omega list, below are my choices
for secure use of the Internet (grouped by category).

Internet security does require some initial effort to set up, but
maintaining it need not be an onerous prospect - I update 4
applications (SpyBot, AdAware, SpyWareBlaster and AVG) each Sunday and
completely check my machine. That's it - once a week, and most of it
can happen while you read the morning paper. I have not even seen a
virus or any other 'unwanteds' for a few years now.

Some self-education will be required, but only in as far as reading
the instructions provided with each application.

Some of the best security checks and information can be found at Steve
Gibsons site: www.grc.com - click on the "Shields Up" logo for a test
of your current security levels.

------ THE LIST -------

Adware/Spyware removal and protection:
  SpyBot           http://security.kolla.de
  AdAware          www.lavasoftusa.com
  SpyWareBlaster   http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

E-mail Security:
  PGP privacy      www.pgpi.org
  The Bat! email   http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/

Browser and browser content filtering:
  FireFox browser  http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
  Proxomitron      http://www.proxomitron.info/

Spam killer:
  Spampal          www.spampal.org

Anti Virus:
  AVG by Grisoft   http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

XP Tweaks:
  BlackViper       http://www.blackviper.com/
And if you run XP you really do need to turn off (tweak) a few things!

I sincerely hope this information will be of assistance.

--
Best regards,
 Ross                       mail to: Ross.Bond@xxxxxxxxxx