From: Bilo Selhi [mailto:biloselhi@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 3:39 PM
To: marc miller; omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: e-mini...search for the grail continued

how can that be not so?
even the simplest of the statements close > close[1]
has 3 parameters,
1. series = close
2. close is same as close[0] meaning  [n] is the parameter
3 .close[1] is again [n] is the parameter

we are dealing with expert type systems in TS, meaning
we are trying to fit rules to data, you can't have rules without
parameters or data without parameters.

every system is a curve fit and every curve fit is optimized to
find the best parameter set for the model.
the questions is not the curve fit but
how long will this curve fit hold up for before you have to refit the
model to the data? the reason why it does not hold up is because data is
drifting out of the model fit, not vv.

if it holds up then profit can be taken out.

obviously the longer it holds up the better, but it won't hold up
indefinitely unless data is stationary or deterministic ( not the case
with price data ), or rules and parameters are so generalized that they
will fit any data ( not the case, impossible ) so then the remaining
part is adaptation, like everything else is in life. environment
changes, rules change , parameters change.

so data change --> adapt rule or parameters or both,
ideally you want to find rules that generalize well to  keep rules same
and
just change the parameters to fit the data.

even non parametric models are just called non-parametric in the
statistical point of view, all of them are parametric.

to summarize: data changes, rules better not, parameter tweaking is ok
as long as the model holds up for time enough to extract profit.
optimization is necessary to find optimal
parameters, model can only be validated on unseen data and if data
parameters don't
change then model will hold up until data holds up, else it's a curve
fit.

Helix developer claims that he found rules and parameters that are
stable enough for
5 years, so that they will work for next N? years... this maybe correct
with 10 point stop
on 5 minutes but eventually data will change and parameters or-and rules
will have to also.

so far Striker shows about $1000 profit for half January, developer
claims out of
sample of 14 months... ES data may not have changed for the past 14
months, hard to believe or
who knows the truth, rules and parameters could have been changed, we
simply don't know. Striker reports and Futures truth stats will show.

bottom line, statistical models can not work indefinitely without
tweaking  if data is non stationary... and tweaking is ok and even
necessary, whether it is done manually or automatically.
bilo.