Re: What Constitutes Acceptable System Performance?

Ross,

>  Would anyone care to share their views on what constitutes
>  acceptable system performance: what baseline values they consider
>  would make a system a candidate to move from testing into real
>  trading?

Well, you probably know my answer, if you read my article at
http://unicorn.us.com/trading/expectancy.html

>  Performance Statistics for Position trading:
>
>  Statistic                  Value   Description of Stat
>  ================================================================
>
>  Mathematical Expectancy    > 0.6  $ return for $ risked
>
>  Opportunity * Expectancy   > 2.0  Opportunity = Trades per Year

Huh?  An opportunity factor of 2 and an expectancy of 0.6?  That's
only 3 trades per year!  You want to maximize both.

>  Win/Loss Ratio             > 2.0  [ AvgWin / AvgLoss ]
>
>  Profit Factor              > 3.0
>
>  Annual Return on Account   > 50%  account = [(Margin*4)+(MDD*2)]
>
>  Net Profit to MDD Ratio    > 3.0
>
>  Percentage DrawDown        < 30%

Actually, opportunity factor pretty much captures all the rest ofse.
tho In my opinion it's the best objective measurement you can u  se.

>  What I am trying to determine is:
>  * what statistics are truly useful; and
>  * what base values are considered acceptable.

To me, any expectancy over 0.30 is acceptable for position trading.
I made one (after much curve fitting) go as high as 0.50.  The
results are distributed with my ProSizer software.  It goes from
$10K to $2 million in 200 trades (which took about 3 years).  So the
opportunity factor is very high.

No way I'd ever trade it though.  *I* know it's curve fitted.

-Alex