What Constitutes Acceptable System Performance?

  Would anyone care to share their views on what constitutes
  acceptable system performance: what baseline values they consider
  would make a system a candidate to move from testing into real
  trading?

  (If there is interest in this thread we may need to break it into
  Position trading and Day trading.)

  I offer the following for consideration.

  Performance Statistics for Position trading:

  Statistic                  Value   Description of Stat

  Mathematical Expectancy    > 0.6  $ return for $ risked

  Opportunity * Expectancy   > 2.0  Opportunity = Trades per Year

  Win/Loss Ratio             > 2.0  [ AvgWin / AvgLoss ]

  Profit Factor              > 3.0

  Annual Return on Account   > 50%  account = [(Margin*4)+(MDD*2)]

  Net Profit to MDD Ratio    > 3.0

  Percentage DrawDown        < 30%

  Average Trade $$           > $500

  I understand that there are many performance statistics that can be
  generated.

  What I am trying to determine is:
  * what statistics are truly useful; and
  * what base values are considered acceptable.

--
Best regards,
 Ross                     mail to: Ross.Bond@xxxxxxxxxx