Off Topic - build new PC

Prices for new Dell's here in Aus seem to be 'way high'. So am
considering alternatives for a new machine.

Do I have it right? ....
Customised a notebook (just for price matching U.S. to Aus. / Inspiron
1100) on the Aus site and came up with Aus$ 2823 (about US$2200). The
closest match I could customise on the U.S. site came to $1688.
That's about a 30% premium if I have it right.

So with regard to desktops; I wonder the cost of building my own,
which I've never done before (buying parts from US). Any suggestions
an dpricings from your recent builds would be appreciated.

Requirements, say;

Quietness
Many apps running
2GB ram
40 or 80 GB hdrive (x2)
removal cage for 2nd hdrive (to make backup images on)
floppy drive
CD-rom
video card for dual monitors
10 / 100 etherent for cable
mouse (with at least equivalent of Logitech "Smart Move" driver)
USB for external 250MBzip
processor (ah?) (well I currently have dual P3 860 ....for stability
with lots apps open, which seems to work) so maybe P4 x2 ?

What internet site would be reputable for OS shipping.

--
Best regards,
 jon                          mailto:jonmac@xxxxxxxxxxx