Re: Seeking robust UPS Solutions

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:53:20 EDT, you wrote:

>Batteries are nuts. You'll spend a fortune for something you hardly use, and
>you still have too finite a time limit. Just get a generator and enough
>battery time to get it started. You'll still have to probably shut down and reboot
>because it's unlikely you'll be able to seamlessly add the generator to your
>house line.

A (good) UPS reacts instantly so no shutdown.
And it will keep your system running long enough for the generator to start.
It is certainly possible to swith between normal curren/ups/generator without probs.
Just like hospitals do.
UPS is just batteries and wears out quite fast.
You will be suprised how much power a complete system uses.
A whole day on batteries looks impossible to me.
A nice generator (even a noisy one) is a much better deal IMO.
A 1000 watt version runs about day on a little fueltank
And it even has enough spare power for things like your fridge.
If you know what you are doing you can even power your whole house with it using a simple extention cord.