RE: Seeking robust UPS Solutions

Combining motorized loads like refrigerators/air conditioners with
sensitive electronics like computers and teevees on the same generator
is not terrific for the sensitive bits  unless you have surge/brownout
protection on them.  Here on the fairly warm Jersey shore our local
power utility has obviously lowered the voltage (or demand has lowered
it for them) to the point where every time my cental air turns on, my
surge/brownout protection (an APC Line-R 1250) for my teevee kicks in
briefly.  This does not happen when it's 60 outside.   The same thing
will happen when you're running your fridge and peecee off the same $400
WalMart generator and the fridge turns on.

Any amount of money can't be enough to spend on power protection when
you're trading and can lose $hundreds or $thousands in a few minutes of
disconnect time.  It's the wrong place to be cheap, and it's the right
place to buy the best.

I'm seriously considering buying an online power backup... Not standby,
but online.  These unit are always taking power in, conditioning it, and
sending conditioned power to the attached load.  Similar units are often
used on larger yachts as the voltage and frequency can vary from port to
port... So if your yacht has European 220V 50Hz wiring, for ex, with one
of these units you can plug in to anything from 120V 60Hz to 280V or so,
and be certain that your yacht electrics do not fry.

And yes, you can run your entire house with a couple of extension cords
by backfeeding into your fuse panel through wall outlets.  Be darn sure
you turn off the main breaker to the street before you do this.

-peter