Re: Spam Filtering and Spyware Removal Software

MichaelSuesserott wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> found the following FREE products to be extremely effective:
>
> SpamPal (http://www.spampal.org) catches nearly 100% of spam mails. I had
> used several other commercial spam filters before, but found this free one
> to be the best.

>From the product's Website:

"But how does SpamPal know what is spam and what isn't? Well, it uses
what are called DNSBL lists. Patterned after the famous MAPS RBL, these
are lists of parts of the Internet that in one way or another facilitate
spam. Any email you get from a machine on one of these lists has an
increased probability of being spam. Some ISPs already block all email
from machines on some of these DNSBL lists, but many do not. This is
where SpamPal comes in."

So it's an RBL (realtime block list) for the end-user. RBL was intended
to be used by SMTP servers, ie your ISP's servers.

SpamPal is not as resource-efficient as when run by an ISP (as all those
thousands of spams per day still get transmitted over the Internet and
stored in your mailbox) but it gets the job done.

Users of Unix-based machines should use sendmail+RBL and SpamAssassin.
This should get rid of 99% of all spam.

PS: Due to the increasing use of RBL the last few months, I noticed a
frenzy by spammers to send even more mails, so that some would get
through. There are reports that almost 50% of all Internet email traffic
nowadays is spam!