way off OT: Long Island NY

Not so long ago I sought some advice about a place to stay for someone visiting San Francisco. I got some very sound advice and suggestions. So I thought I try again! This time I’m visiting Long Island in mid August, around the Hamptons area for 3-4 days. I’ve been there before and used to stay with a friend. He’s moved, unfortunately☺.

As the travel agent is of little help, I’d appreciate any suggestions--hotels, motels, good guest houses, etc. I’ll have a car so out of the way places are ok. Even all the way north to Montauk is fine.

Thanks in advance
Colin West