Re: YOU HAVE BANNED ME - I BAN YOU NOW - I DID NOTHING TO YOU Above and Beyond the Call

  • To: jimbob <big_ezy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: YOU HAVE BANNED ME - I BAN YOU NOW - I DID NOTHING TO YOU Above and Beyond the Call
  • From: List Maintainer <jimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:05:11 -0700

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at  9:03:52AM -0400, jimbob wrote:
> the "YOU HAVE BANNED ME..." stuff in the subject line and first sentence
> appeared after i sent this mail.

More precisely, it appeared as you were receiving your copy of the
list server's distribution of your post.  It did not appear in your
email that the list server received for posting to the list.  Nor
did it appear in any of the thousands of other copies received by
the rest of the list's subscribers.

> a prior mail included the word "QUIT", which Jim advised was the
> result of HTML code being incorrectly included.

No, I said the QUIT business was a result of some problem with your
SMTP email connection between you and your ISP's mail server; it had
nothing to do with your email client's configuration to send html.

This latest problem seems similar to the QUIT problem, in that you've
got an unwanted phrase appearing in the Subject: line, and that phrase
duplicated as the first line of the email.  Obviously this latest phrase
is not a standard SMTP command, which sheds additional light on your
problem.

> i corrected the HTML problem, and then this mysterious message appeared.

Those two events are no doubt unrelated.

> have i been hacked...or is some ghost from my past seeking vengence?

You, or perhaps your ISP.  Something is obviously wrong somewhere in
your system.  Since you use Microsoft Outlook Express, you are vulnerable
to the widest possible set of script kiddie attacks.  You'll probably
need to tear down your home system and reinstall everything, the usual
fix for any sort of virus attack.  But there could be a problem in
your ISP's system as well.  You should contact them about this matter.
I don't know what "InterMail vM.5.01.04.25 201-253-122-122-125-20020815"
which your outgoing mail was sent through, and assuming your incoming
mail server uses similar software, might be vulnerable to.  If any of
the experts here on the list recognize that service, or have seen this
particular problem, I'm sure we'd be interested.

Unless anyone can shed direct light on this problem, though, we'd
best continue this discussion off list, as it appears to be only in
your particular email system.  If and when we figure it out, we can
post a summary of the details.

Jim