Managing customer money...

Slightly off topic... I have been a proprietary trader managing firm capital for a broker dealer, and am now considering starting my own biz and taking in customer money. The question is, can I start a hedge fund and trade a combination equities, options, and futures or does the introduction of futures require CTA/CPO registration? Are the any exemptions i.e. qualified investors so that I can include futures in the mix without being a CTA/CPO? I know I can run a hedge fund without any registration if I just trade equities, but I was wondering about throwing e-mini's into the mix.

TIA,

Seth