Fwd: Hotmail Address Scanning

The note below from Eskimo's owner (yes, we really can talk to the
actual owner of the place) explains a problem some of you may have
posting to the list from a hotmail account.  It will depend on
whether your outgoing server happens to be a member of the *.bay3
server group. This shouldn't affect your receiving of the list there.
I don't know if you'll get a rejection notice or not; it would depend
on how Eskimo has implimented the block, and whether hotmail passes
rejection notices on to its customers.

I doubt that it would do any good, but if this situation is a problem
for you, you could complain to hotmail.

Jim

----- Forwarded message from Nanook <nanook@xxxxxxxxxx> -----

     I know this is not is not going to go over well but I have been
forced to block e-mail connections from *.bay3.hotmail.com because of
address scanning from various servers there.

     Not only are spammers using their servers to determine valid
e-mail addresses here to spam, but they are doing it at such a rate
that it is overloading our servers and interfering with the delivery
of legitimate mail.

     I e-mailed abuse@xxxxxxxxxxx and abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx and all I
got back was the standard useless auto-responder messages.

     I attempted to call the number listed at the domain registration
and was told by the lady that answered the phone that they have no
phone support.

     I informed her that their servers were interfering with the
operation of ours, that their servers were being used for address
scanning and she told me I'd have to call my local law enforcement
and hung up.

     So there is Microsoft's stance on spam in a nutshell, they allow
their servers to be used for address scanning and will not respond to
telephone calls.

     I don't know if servers in *.bay3.hotmail.com are used for the
delivery of legitimate mail or not since I couldn't get anyone there
to talk to me and they ignore their abuse and security addresses, or
at least don't respond with anything except the automated responses.

----- End forwarded message -----