Re: A joke & TS alternatives

At 5/18/2003 03:02 AM, you wrote:

Funny how this timing thing sometimes works... As it has been raining
for a few days in a row around here, I decided to try out WL over the
weekend and have been playing with the demo version for 2 days.
Besides the handicapping drawbacks of the demo version (no saving
capability which means I can not duplicate my TS stuff and can play
around only with what comes with the demo), I have found the software
a worthy successor to TS 2000i that is my *main thing* currently. So
much so that I will probably buy it in the near future unless
something extraodinary comes out of http://www.powertesting.com/

Something extraordinary **is** going to be coming out of out of
http://www.powertesting.com/

To give a quick update, the last time PowerST was mentioned on the Omega
list, that led to someone purchasing PowerST with the agreement that I add
a very high end scaling feature, and I have been working on that since. It
is progressing, and I am on the last phase of that project.

He was seeking features that he could not find in any of the other
softwares that get mentioned on this list. It sounds like he had already
purchased and tried everything else, and he was starting to look into
learning C++ programming to try writing custom software himself. Then he
looked at PowerST and realized it had everything he was looking for except
this scaling feature. I was willing to add the scaling feature at no cost
to him other than the normal cost of the software, so we struck a deal that
he would become another "Early Adopter" in exchange for me adding this feature.

This is how I have found most of the early adopter customers. Early
adopters have been people who could not find what they wanted in other
software, so they were willing to take a chance on purchasing PowerST in
the controlled introduction stage.

It has taken much longer to get through this controlled introduction /
early adopter stage than I would have imagined, but then those who have
purchased PowerST in this period have generally been extremely happy with
the experience.

Although I am always interested in talking with prospective customers, I
have not been actively seeking new customers recently so that I can
concentrate on this scaling feature. So, I have been silent, and have been
encouraging others that it isn't the best time to post about PowerST.

Scaling is the last completely missing feature for the first full release.
The whole thing is progressing. PowerST is fully functional software, with
a small community of active and intense users. But PowerST has only been
for those who have been content with the current feature set, as discussed
on the http://www.powertesting.com/ web site (currently a little out of
date - the last web site update was last November).

I was thinking of a stupid analogy recently, which is that when a dog is
born it can immediately stand up and walk around, and 6 weeks later it is
old enough to be separated from it's family and largely take care of
itself. On the other hand, a human baby takes years to reach that level of
maturity. But then a human being ultimately matures into a much more
complex and intelligent animal.

PowerST is more ambitious about testing software features than any other
commercial software, and it has been a unbelievable amount of work, from
the programming to the documentation to working with the early customers.

When I look at some of the other products being discussed on this list,
currently making more widespread sales when PowerST is still in a
pre-release stage, I sometimes think I should have set my sights on a less
ambitious product. But I wanted to build a product that could do anything
and everything anyone would want in software for researching trading
systems and money management strategies, without compromise. When it is
finished, it will be the ultimate testing software for the more advanced
systems trader.

Bob Bolotin
President, RDB Computing, Inc.
Developer of "PowerST: The Power System Tester"
http://www.powertesting.com
bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
847-982-1910