Re[4]: off topic: backup software

  • To: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re[4]: off topic: backup software
  • From: Ivo Karindi <ivo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 12:00:37 -0700

Hello Gary,

Sunday, May 18, 2003, 9:20:43 PM, you wrote:

>> However, my reasoning behind daily backups in addition to
>> running DI every once in a while is to have *incremental* backup of
>> everything:
GF> (while everything is running, I think?)

GF> Have you tested those backups?  Normally when programs open a
GF> file, they lock it.  No other programs, and that includes backup
GF> programs, can access the file while it's locked.  Maybe your
GF> backup utility has some magic way of getting at the file even
GF> when it's locked (in which case it's in danger of copying off
GF> inconsistent data that the program is in the middle of modifying)
GF> but I would check to make sure it's actually backing up the data
GF> you think it is.

I am starting to look like a paranoid nerd here, but here's where
MacroExpress comes in: before backups start, it takes care everything
has been shut down. After backups have been finished it starts all
necessary stuff again. Also, there's a certain nightly schedule when
something is performed so things don't overlap.

Now I admit that all this backup stuff may be quite overwhelming when
setting everything up, but then again once everything has been set up
and is actually working it becomes absolutely effortless for the user.
After all, isn't this why computers exist?

Ivo Karindi
ivo@xxxxxxxxx