Re: Re[2]: off topic: backup software

> However, my reasoning behind daily backups in addition to
> running DI every once in a while is to have *incremental* backup of
> everything:
(while everything is running, I think?)

Have you tested those backups?  Normally when programs open a
file, they lock it.  No other programs, and that includes backup
programs, can access the file while it's locked.  Maybe your
backup utility has some magic way of getting at the file even
when it's locked (in which case it's in danger of copying off
inconsistent data that the program is in the middle of modifying)
but I would check to make sure it's actually backing up the data
you think it is.

That's why programs like DI require you to reboot to DOS.  That
way EVERY file is unlocked (not even Windows holds any open), so
every file can be backed up.

Gooly wrote:
> With an additionl PCI-card to wghich you connect two harddisk,
> you'll have you harddisk mirrored and if one HD crashes the card (and
> your pc) is just running normal on the other HD.

That works fine if the problem is a crashed HD.  If it's data
corruption for other reasons -- viruses, fat fingers, user
screwup, whatever -- then the RAID disk just gives you two copies
of the corrupted data.  You still need backups to be able to go
"back in time" to an uncorrupted copy before the "event"
happened.

Gary