Re: off topic: backup software

Hi,

I would prefer/recommand a RAID-system.

With an additionl PCI-card to wghich you connect two harddisk, you'll have you
harddisk mirrored and if one HD crashes the card (and your pc) is just
running normal on the other HD.

Now you have time to purchase a new HD, replace the crashed one and the
RAID-card will mirror everything to the new one. Now - again - you pc is
running on 2 HD as if they were one.

Please have a cloeser look at for example:
General Information
http://www.uni-mainz.de/~neuffer/scsi/what_is_raid.html

Some FAQ:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?prodkey=ata_faq
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370faq.htm

c't (www.heise.de) is one of the best computer magazine's of Germany. They had
an arrtikle about RAID in their no. 1 of 2003.

There they checked some PCI cards. A recommanadtion for a good card (fast) at
a cheap price (Euro 32.-) were the Speedway133 of Z-Cyber (www.z-cyber.net).

This card can do RAID 0 (fast) and RAID 1 (save) and RAID 10 (a combination of
RAID 1 +0, but you need more than 2 harddrive).

This card is working under Win98 and under WinXP (for later update).

Other good cards are:
RocketRaid 133 (www.highpoint-tech.com) Euro 49.-
orFasttrack100tx2 (www.promise.com) Euro 99.-