Re[2]: off topic: backup software

  • To: Gary Fritz <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re[2]: off topic: backup software
  • From: Ivo Karindi <ivo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 00:49:15 -0700

GF> I've never had to use DI to restore my whole system (knock on
GF> wood), but I *have* used it to recover individual files before.
GF> It works nicely for that too. #160; No stitching together, no copying
GF> the CD's to the HD.

OK, I was wrong here. That was the case with one of the previous
versions. However, my reasoning behind daily backups in addition to
running DI every once in a while is to have *incremental* backup of
everything: all the e-mail, all the collected data, all the work done,
etc. For this purpose, DI will not do because it requires booting in
DOS for backing up the system drive. My computers (and I believe many
others' on this list) are on and working 24/7 and therefore can not
reboot before Sunday morning. This is the reason why I recommended
something like SecondCopy for nightly incremental backups of all the
important files.

Best regards,

Ivo Karindi
ivo@xxxxxxxxx