Re: Help w/Bob Scott's Unfrag Utility

David,

Disk defrag and Unfrag cover two completely different defragmentation
issues.

Unfrag gets rid of any possible unused space in the TS4 DAT file and then
resequences the records within that file in a much more optimum order.  This
will leave the TS4 DAT file unfragmented from a *record* standpoint but will
do nothing for *file* fragmentation.  After using Unfrag you may have
several *file* fragments to the DAT file but all records will be optimally
sequenced.

The job of disk defrag is to get rid of all *file* fragmentation but for
large files this may not be possible if you are running low on free disk
space.  This would be especially true if the "4$*.*" Unfrag backup files are
left on the disk. (4$sig.dat and 4$sig.idx for Signal or 4$bonn.dat and
4$bonn.idx for BMI)  I think this is your main problem.

I use a trick that was suggested by Rod Grisham which works great.

1. Perform an Unfrag on the data to eliminate *record* fragmentation.

2. Verify that the Unfragged data is OK by starting TS4.  This will generate
the index file which may also be *file* fragmented.

3. Delete the Unfrag backup 4$*.* files (4$sig.dat and 4$sig.idx for Signal
or 4$bonn.dat and 4$bonn.idx for BMI)

4. Copy the 40*.* files to *another* disk and then delete them from the TS4
server folder (40sig.dat and 40sig.idx for Signal or 40bonn.dat and
40bonn.idx for BMI)  This just *moves* the files temporarily to another
drive.

5. Run disk defrag - it should run much faster if the TS4 data occupied at
lot of disk space.

6. Copy the 40*.* files back to the TS4 folder.  The copy operation should
leave the files unfragmented if the disk was well defragmented.

Since you have lots of unused disk space you may be able to eliminate some
work by eliminating steps 4 and 6 which move the TS4 data to another drive
and then back.  However, you may still elect to move the 4$*.* files to
another drive for backup purposes.

Lots of work but if you have another hard disk partition it goes fairly
quickly.

Regards,

~Bob