Re: E-m addr hi-jacked by spammer

Brendan B. Boerner wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> It appears that a spammer is using one of my e-m addrs to send his
>> spam.  Twice in the last several weeks I've had e-m returned to me
>> due to the recipient being an unknown user.  I've checked the message
>> being returned and sure enough, I never sent it.
>>
>> I checked the domains mentioned in the e-m and they point back to the
>> same guy in Mexico.  His contact info lists a Hotmail.com account.  I
>> am contacting Hotmail to ask them to terminate his account.
>>
>> If anyone else is receiving similar bounces, please save and fwd them
>> to me.  If they're from the same guy it might be needed to help build
>> a case w/the Hotmail staff and would be useful to track him if he
>> changes his DNS registration to another provider.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brendan
>> ---
>> Brendan B. Boerner
>> brendan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Karakhorum Ventures, Inc.
>> www.Karakhorum.com

You might consider doing a security examination of your computer ASAP. While
in the past the spammer often would just put some random email address in
their 'From' line they have now taken to more extreme measures as the IPs
from which they have been sending their crap are being progressively blocked
by SPEWS and other such organisations.

Take a look at this article:
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/4217

Then I would suggest scanning your machines with AdAware, Spybot and TDS3 to
make sure you have no nasties sitting on them.

You might also consider going onto the newsgroup

news.admin.net-abuse.email.

The people on that group are very knowledgeable about spammers and would
probably be better able to track down who these characters are than will be
Hotmail

   Bob