Re: Oddball oddities

Amazing.

>From past investigations I know that all the data providers begin with the same
data feeds from the exchanges.  I was told that there was no choice as to what
items were included or the timing thereof.  In other words they all get the
exact same thing.

What they do with it, however, may be determined by how they wish to, or can,
distribute it to their subscribers.

It seems that almost all of them are emphasizing the timely distribution of
price data, for from a competitive point of view it's pretty easy to compare
source "A" prices with source "B" by reviewing  both feeds at the same time.
Differences are readily spotted.

As to other market statistics there easily can be differences if they choose to
either "sample" the data or provide all of what they receive.  Additionally,
they may choose to alter the time of dissemination in order to smooth out the
pace of the data flow.  Some may restrict some items because of a lack of
bandwidth.  Others don't go to the trouble of doing the computer programming
that would be necessary to "match up" related items. For example on of the data
providers I looked at didn't simultaneously send NYA price and volume
information as a linked set,  so the charts they furnished never showed the
actual volume of trading with the price chart, even though "volume" sub chart
had entries.  The "volume" number was simply a number which represented how many
times the price data had been updated.

All of the above are almost impossible to easily detect.

For end-of-day charts none of this is as problematical as it is for real time or
delayed feeds for most of the charting programs let a user construct a chart to
include any of the individual items that are tallied throughout the day.  For
anything else it's a problem, and I don't know how to get a proper resolution,
other than the providers willingness to address the problem.

>From the few conversations that I've had with their service reps there doesn't
seem to be either an understanding of the problem or a willingness to even try.

Richard Funkhouser

P.S. Chris

I'd be very interested in learning more about the approach that the trading
system you referred to handles the coordination of both price change with up and
down volume.  As an old Wyckoff student I have been trying to find a way to
chart the shorter term price trends with the related volume in those trends.
Haven't found a way yet but there is no more powerful way of appraising market
action.