Re: FRESH install Win 2000, with 2 harddrives, but wrong drive is C:

Hi Ian,
Bit of a sticky wicket 8^)  20G is a nice boot drive, more than that is
data storage which can be on any drive.  but as you wish

You probably can select which drive the system boots from in the BIOS,
select the 40G and install W2K there.  The problem though while it's on the
physical drive you want, it still won't be C:.  Most major programs don't
care which drive they're on, they use the variable %SystemRoot% and all is
well, but some software though good in other ways has been hard coded for
the root to be on C:

You can of course set the drive letters to some extent, I like Q for the
CD.  In W2K that's ControlPanel, AdministrativeTools, ComputerManagement,
2click Storage and DiskManagement.  RightClick on stuff there and it will
show options like change the letter.  Still got a problem, you will not be
allowed to change the boot drive's letter.

The machine isn't as smart as it thinks it is.  It looks for your drives
first on the Primary Master, then the Primary Slave, then the Secondary
Master, then the Secondary Slave.  Hope you're a geek or that could be
confusing.  The Primary is one of the flat cables to your drives, and the
secondary is a separate cable to the drives.
You can have 2 drives on each cable, the Master and the Slave, if a drive
is a master or slave is determined by jumpers on the drive.  Just to
complicate or simplify depending on the situation, you can also run cable
select.  From the model numbers of your drives we can find where the
jumpers should be.

What I think needs done, if you're game  8^>
Backup, though you haven't said anything that indicates a format is
necessary, and there should be no data loss if everything goes
perfectly.  Still I would at least duplicate my most critical files on both
drives.

Then rearrange the cables and jumpers so the 60G is on the Primary Master,
and the 20G is either the slave or on the other cable.  Set the BIOS to
boot from the Primary Master, the BIOS may call it HD0.  Then do a clean
install (not a repair) of W2K on the 60G.

When it comes up you should be able to go into DiskManager and see the 60G
is drive C: and the boot drive.  Also RClick MyComputer,  Properties,
Advanced, EnvironmentVaribles, and you should see a lot of stuff all
directed to C:  With that the system is right, you can proceed to reinstall
programs.

If you don't need the space on the 20G I would leave windows installed on
it.  If the 60G ever crashes then even if you have to swap stuff around you
can boot from the 20G, a nice option to have.

If anyone knows an easier way I would like to know too.
Mike