RE: quiet cpu fan

I like the Zalman,
http://www.directron.com/cnps60001.html
it has a fan speed rheostat that can vary the sound output from 20dba to 33dba.
I'm running an XP2400+ with only this HSF, at the lowest setting, and the PSU
exhaust fan (an Enermax 465V-FC), and the CPU temp is usually around 40C,
peaking at 50C on warmer days under higher load.

The Volcano 6 is rated 39dba, which is roughly 4x louder than the Zalman
running in low noise (slowest fan spped) mode. (a 10db increase is a doubling
in sound output).

The PSU fan can make a big difference also. PSU's that have variable speed fans
and temp sensors run much quieter if they aren't operating above about 30%-50%
of capacity, so there is merit in over-specing the power supply and shopping
around for a quiet one, with fan speed control.