FW: A New PC Recommendation

If Dell is now using standard ATX form factor motherboards, cases, and power
supplies, then there is no problem with upgrading. This might be the case, I
don't know. Until fairly recently, though, they had those parts made for
them, by Intel or whomever, to non-standard specs. If you wanted to replace
the motherboard to accommodate a new family of processors or a new type of
memory, it would not fit the Dell case and the power supply would usually be
inadequate. Other components in the box, such as the modem and hard drive,
might be OK, but usually there are better ones on the market.

I think Dell is great as a simple solution, but personally I would rather
have all name brand components. These other roll-your-own type of companies
make it as easy to select a system on their websites as Dell, at comparable
to slightly higher cost. They are not fly-by-nights. ABS, for example, often
ranks above Dell in the PC World magazine recommendations.

One man's opinion, I'm sure it's different for everybody.

Last I heard, Dell used Intel motherboards, which are as good as it gets
quality-wise. All processors, whether from Intel or AMD, run in "families".
They introduce one, then release 3 or 4 faster cpu's in the same family.
Then
they'll intro a new one with improved technology that creates a new family.
It's worked that way for years, and it doesn't matter who made the computer
or motherboard, you'll never be able to upgrade your cpu more than 3 or 4
faster models. There's no such thing as "proprietary" memory, the type of
memory used is dependent on the bridge chipset, which is only made by 2 or 3

makers, and all motherboards use them. Obviously Intel motherboards use
Intel
chipsets, the most popular.

In a message dated 1/19/03 3:16:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
clabaugh@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Things may have changed, but Dell used to use proprietary cases,
>  motherboards and power supplies. To use newer types of memory and
processors
>  as they came along, you basically had to junk the computer, except for
the
>  drives.
>

>  Can't say I agree with that. Dell has a 2.4 ghz Pentium for $599 and a
$100
>  rebate too. I don't see why it's not just as upgradeable as anything you
>  would build.
>

>  > I would select or build a PC at oxfordpc.com, abscomputers.com,
>  >  multiwave.com, or a similar site.  A fast Athlon XP system with
Western
>  >  Digital Special Edition IDE hard drives and lots of memory from one of

>  these
>  >  vendors gives more upgradeability and more bang for the buck than Dell

or