Re: TradeStation 6 and 7 USELESS for Automated Trading - Some important announcement for automated trading

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: TradeStation 6 and 7 USELESS for Automated Trading - Some important announcement for automated trading
  • From: alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Alex Matulich)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:29:49 -0800

Perhaps Dennis can clarify something in his statement below that seems
nonsensical to me.  I'll summarize the facts as I see them:

1.  Tradestation is aware of a problem with trade automation
creating inconsistencies between the real account and Tradestation's
internal numbers, causing fatal failures of a trading strategy.

2.  Tradestation has set about fixing it.  And it turns out to be an
easy and transparent fix for users; just a DLL.

3.  Tradestation has already invested the effort in completing this
fix, and has finished 90% of it!

4.  Now they're wondering if it's worth finishing the remaining 10%.
And they're considering charging a fee for what's essentially a bug
fix.

Please explain the logic for the statements in #4 above.

Why get so far in fixing a bug and then put it on hold, when so
little additional effort is needed to complete "the last mile"?
And why is Tradestation thinking that a bug fix constitutes a
new product development?  Isn't the goodwill of past and present
customers important at all?

Since the internet and online trading became popular in the mid
1990s, automated trading is such a logical application for the
software, one can hardly call it a new feature -- especially when
the problem also exists in TS6, which Tradestation *advertises*
as being able to do automated trading.  Therefore it's a bug fix.

However, I might be willing to pony up some $ (one time) for the
assurance that my TS2000i will work with 3rd party brokers.

-Alex