Re: Off-Topic: Netscape Question

Mike,

Perhaps this is what you want, which I copied some time ago from the
http://www.ufaq.org/   web page. They also have a way to delete the AOL
AIM nag that pops up every month.

Regards,
David

How do I Get Rid of the Welcome to Netscape Messenger Page?

     Applies to: Communicator 4.5 and up
     Operating Systems: Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT.

     Problem: How do I get rid of the "Netscape Communications
     Services/Welcome to Netscape Messenger" page that appears every
     time I start Messenger?

     Solution:

     You can either disable the Messenger Start Page or change the URL
     it loads.

     To disable it:

       1. CLOSE COMMUNICATOR !!! This procedure will not work
          otherwise ...
       2. Use the Windows Explorer file manager and go to your
          ...\Netscape\Users\{username}\ directory.
       3. Find the file named prefs.js and make a backup copy. You can
          do this quickly in Windows Explorer by right-clicking
          prefs.js, choosing Copy, then right-click a blank space in
          Explorer's right pane and choose Paste.
       4. Use Notepad or another text editor to open prefs.js.
       5. Add the following line on a line of its own:
          user_pref("mailnews.start_page.enabled", false);

          You may wish to copy and paste the above line to avoid
          misspellings.

       6. If you typed in the above line, verify that it is exactly as
          shown above. Errors will cause this to fail to work, and may
          result in a corrupted prefs.js file.
       7. Close the text editor and save changes.
       8. Restart Netscape.

     To change the URL:

       1. Follow steps 1-4 above.
       2. Add the following on a line of its own:
          user_pref("mailnews.start_page.url",
          "http://home.netscape.com/";);

          Replace http://home.netscape.com/ with the full URL you wish
          to use instead.
       3. Verify that line is exactly as shown above, with the URL you
          wish to use in quotes. Errors will cause this to fail to
          work, and may result in a corrupted prefs.js file.
       4. Close the text editor and save changes.
       5. Restart Netscape.