Re: TS4 I/O buffer buildup

"Jim Erven" <ervenj@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>So what are we saying here, a higher speed serail post with more
>buffer might help, definitely solve this, or try it and see (lol)?
>
>Kinda frustrating sorting this all out, thot the P3-850 CPU wud do the
>trick. I am only collecting the e-mini, naz mini, and 12 indexes, no stocks.
>But guess the serial port still has to read the whole data stream  to strip
>out my symbols, then chart them with all the studies.

Yep, it doesn't matter that you're only collecting a few symbols;
the BMI box throws the entire feed at your computer, and the TS
server has to sift out what you're interested in.  A buffer card
of some sort has always been considered mandatory with BMI,  My
trusty old 486 did fine with the classic TPort (r.i.p) under Win3.1.
Win32, of course, is another matter, much slower "os."

The current favorite seems to be the Turbo960, I believe.
You need space to hold the output of the hose, until TS can
consume it.  It may not solve your problem, but you probably
won't solve your problem without it.  Even with a fancy CPU,
you don't want it just servicing an I/O stream.

Also, make sure your BMI box isn't permissioned for things
you don't want.  I used to often find they'd turned on this
or that free service.  At least you can filter out that portion
of the feed at the box.

Jim