(Off Topic:) Adapt, innovate, and remain compassionate

Carpet bombing won't work.  Air strikes based on bad intelligence and old
maps won't work.  Period.  In Afghanistan, you only move rock and create dust.

If we target its towns, it will cause innocent Muslims to get hurt and
consequently hate us, and raise children that will hate us and go after us
in the future.  This is dangerous Foreign policy.  It's bad war policy.  I
think Bush knows that.

But he's worried about the American status quo desiring the kicking of some
serious buttocks.  However, he must take the risk and innovate against the
status-quo, just like all the leaders before him in the time of
crisis.  He'll no longer react to the polls and tell the Public what must
be done.  That is what a leader is.

Total War is ugly.  It's ugly because it requires the killing of huge
numbers of civilians, so that those who remain will lose the capacity to be
angry.

If we bomb Afghanistan, we will teach all Muslims how to hate us, unless we
kill enough of them so that they lose the capacity to be angry and teach
their children how to be angry.  Do we want to do that?

I don't think so.  Yes, we Americans are arrogant and cocky and go into
great lengths about how great we are.  But when we get hurt we
innovate.  In other words, we will redefine what war is.