Re: I HAVE MAIL! waz Suggestions for e-mail and Web-browser software (was Re: In light of the Microsoft decision....)

  • To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: I HAVE MAIL! waz Suggestions for e-mail and Web-browser software (was Re: In light of the Microsoft decision....)
  • From: Michael Tzianos <mtzianos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:35:44 -0700

At 02:22 PM 6/28/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello  Michael,
>
>no  other  mailer  can handle this much mail except the bat, and virus
>free i might add.
>
>--

Mark,

Indeed, your 2.3GByte mail folder for TheBat! seems almost unbelievable.
I was unable to import large (over 100MB, containing over 20K-30K emails)
"mbox"-format mailboxes into TheBat. Every time I attempted it, the mbox
import became progressively slower until it came to a virtual halt (maybe
it works a lot with virtual memory and you use it under WinNT?). Also
searches were much slower under TheBat!.

The most fundamental problem I've found with TheBat! is that it is using
a non-standard propriertary mailbox format. For various reasons, I have
decided to keep all my mail in the standard Unix-style "mbox" format.

Anyway, TheBat! would be the second best option and it also supports
multiple accounts ("personalities"), which NetscapeMail doesn't. And it
has many advanced features, supports PGP, is multilingual etc. So, it is
a great alternative to Outlook/Eudora as a regular e-mail client, but I
will stick to NetscapeMail for the moment.

M.