Re[2]: I HAVE MAIL! waz Suggestions for e-mail and Web-browser software (was Re: In light of the Microsoft decision....)

On Thursday, June 28, 2001, 1:40:32 PM, Michael Tzianos wrote:

MT> Indeed, your 2.3GByte mail folder for TheBat! seems almost
MT> unbelievable. I was unable to import large (over 100MB, containing
MT> over 20K-30K emails) "mbox"-format mailboxes into TheBat. Every
MT> time I attempted it, the mbox import became progressively slower
MT> until it came to a virtual halt (maybe it works a lot with virtual
MT> memory and you use it under WinNT?).

Possibly. I have some large files and it still runs OK.

MT> Also searches were much slower under TheBat!.

I use DTsearch instead. Save the files as ASCII and use it instead. I
can search 50,000+ files, including many with > 4000 emails each, in
only a few seconds. Beats anything I've seen.

MT> The most fundamental problem I've found with TheBat! is that it is using
MT> a non-standard propriertary mailbox format.

Yep - they need that to give all the additional features of TB.

MT> For various reasons, I have decided to keep all my mail in the
MT> standard Unix-style "mbox" format.

I like ASCII (smaller), and DTsearch. I can search through everything
- email, web pages (HTML), Acrobat files, database files,
spreadsheets, etc - all at the *same* time, and it is STILL faster
than anything else. Also supports MUCH more complex searches.

MT> Anyway, TheBat! would be the second best option and it also
MT> supports multiple accounts ("personalities"), which NetscapeMail
MT> doesn't. And it has many advanced features, supports PGP, is
MT> multilingual etc.

Yeah - you can even run an email list with it. :-)

ztrader