Re[2]: Data

Hello  Jack,

JG> Bandwidth during non-market hours really should be free since you
JG> are forced to pay for it anyway.

by  providing data just before the opening of the bonds, the bandwidth
crunch  would  be critical, also in the evening for those who trade at
night.  trying to get data patched in for evening session.

also most all providers now have a gig limit per month.  its true that
i  am paying for band width anyway, but i have provided big historical
data  files  in  the  past and can tell you that it can bring a server
down  if  you don't throttle it when hundreds of people all want on at
once.   its  not like retrieving a html file, that data download takes
minutes.

JG> A line of code such as

JG> if time<900 and time >1630 then process login
JG> else loginfail=true ...

i can do this no problem.

JG> or more likely one DOS script that kills off a an ftp
JG> server (see e.g. http://www.wftpd.com/products.htm )
JG> which is run at 800 central each morning and another
JG> at 1530 central via a windows calendar program would
JG> do the trick.  Please explain why I am wrong here.

i can do this.

JG> 2: Even a slow 200 mhz pc can easily handle 10 open
JG> simultaneous 5 kB/s ftp connections with minimal cpu
JG> usage (though it helps to increase the size of the
JG> disk cache on such a machine).  I think there is no
JG> need for a dedicated machine unless there are going to
JG> be more users than this.  Do you really think 100
JG> people would be using your site during off hours?

one  evening  while  giving  away  us  and sp back adjusted files of 5
minute data i received 2200 hits in a 24 hour period @ 3 megs each.

so i guess i could limit the number per day first come first serve and
do a meg per month cut off.

JG>  If
JG> so, great --- paying $5 / month /person = $500 / month
JG> to help pay for cost of dedicated pc.  I for one can
JG> totally afford that.  Other opinions?  Or is it just
JG> Mark and I who care?  If so there is no interest, you
JG> all can go with the usual suspects like CIS data @
JG> $500 a pop.

still the problem with csi is the lack of intraday.

>> them take the hits. a permanent solution however
>> will take at least 10
>> to 200 gigs of space and they only provide 15 megs.

JG> Exactly how much space does it take to hold 2 years of
JG> compressed US market (stock+futures+indices) tick
JG> data?
JG> I am guessing only a few gigs.  Am I wrong?  Why
JG> 10-200 gigs?

i  have  all types of world and economic data.  much is tick, and many
different formats ect.  i take every exchange real time world wide and
if  i  paste  out  a  file  each day of tick data its at least 12 megs
zipped.  thats per day 12 megs - each and every day. did i mention 250
days a year.  ;-)

--

Have a Great Day, Mark

http://www.markbrown.co