Re: Data

--- Mark Brown <markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Omeger's,
>
> this  is  a test of the automated data service. each
> day at 3:20pm and
> 7:15am  a  data  file  will be loaded on the below
> web site.  only the
> session that has just completed will be available at
> this free site.
>
> questions/suggestions can be mailed to
> webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> if anyone  is  interested  in a fee based (yea
> right?) historical data
> site.  i am open to suggestions,  i currently have
> all omega data that
> was  ever  supplied  back  to 95 as well as much
> much more data of all
> types.   i simply can not provide his for free,
> bandwidth is becoming
> a   commodity   not   to mention i would have to
> dedicated a couple of
> machines just for this.  i just need to cover cost,
> make suggestions.

This site is a great start Mark.  Good work.  A few
comments:

1: I think bandwidth for traders is only important
during market hours.  The shared data site I was
thinking of would only allow access during market
hours for this reason.  Bandwidth during non-market
hours really should be free since you are forced to
pay for it anyway.

A line of code such as

if time<900 and time >1630 then process login
else loginfail=true ...

or more likely one DOS script that kills off a an ftp
server (see e.g. http://www.wftpd.com/products.htm )
which is run at 800 central each morning and another
at 1530 central via a windows calendar program would
do the trick.  Please explain why I am wrong here.

2: Even a slow 200 mhz pc can easily handle 10 open
simultaneous 5 kB/s ftp connections with minimal cpu
usage (though it helps to increase the size of the
disk cache on such a machine).  I think there is no
need for a dedicated machine unless there are going to
be more users than this.  Do you really think 100
people would be using your site during off hours?  If
so, great --- paying $5 / month /person = $500 / month
to help pay for cost of dedicated pc.  I for one can
totally afford that.  Other opinions?  Or is it just
Mark and I who care?  If so there is no interest, you
all can go with the usual suspects like CIS data @
$500 a pop.

> them take the hits. a permanent solution however
> will take at least 10
> to 200 gigs of space and they only provide 15 megs.

Exactly how much space does it take to hold 2 years of
compressed US market (stock+futures+indices) tick
data?
I am guessing only a few gigs.  Am I wrong?  Why
10-200 gigs?

Jack