Re: More than 512MB RAM a benefit?

Gene
Thanks!

1.  I am surprised the Athlon 1.3 with DDR is faster than P-4 with
RDRAM--doesn't Rambus RDRAM run at 800 MHz or something, while standard SDRAM
(e.g., PC-133) run at the machine's front-side bus speed (e.g. 133 MHz) -- and
double-data-rate (DDR) RAM run at 2x bus speed?

2.  If the access to system memory is the bottleneck (not processor speed), I
would think XEON would be an excellent choice for this reason (particularly if
one gets the 1 MB or 2 MB L1 cache version, vs. the smaller 256K-cached XEON).
If I recall, Xeon's cache runs at full processor speed, too -- unlike the garden
variety P-3's, which runs at bus speed??

3.  As I said, I have a 750 MHz Athlon now.  I *think* I read somewhere the
newer Athlon Thunderbirds (> 1 GHz) take a Xeon-like approach with the cache,
running it at full processor speed--while Athlons between 750 and 1 Ghz had only
half-speed cache.  Have you heard anything along these lines?

ian

--

imacauslan@xxxxxxxxxxxx