Re: need some ideas to (dis)prove an assumption

 Hello Michael,

Michael Berger wrote:

> Stock Futures might replace options on the basis of:
>
> Margins, liquidity, premiums, increased spreading, possibly
> better/different settlement terms (I'm guessing a little
> here).

 Cash Settlement.

> Without the same concern for time decay, participation
> should increase dramatically, both on the part of investors
> / speculators, but also on the part of hedgers.

 Good thought about the absence of time decay. Options aren't for
everyone.

> With the above, there will probably  be increased
> institutional activity, on both sides.

Institutional activity should be heavy, especially now, when they are
looking to cut expenditures. I wonder how many SP 500 stocks contracts
will be written for. The futures may become the leading price discovery
mechanism, so new indexes need to be created. More than 85% of sp500
stocks are NYSE-listed.

> Better collateral value will be possible on stocks hedged
> with futures, rather than options, as more protection is
> provided.

 What protection did you have in mind?

> All the advantages should multiply geometrically.

 Yes, my sense is stock futures are going to take off, and leave wakes
in the sp futures.

> I don't trade options, so I'm sure I only scratched the
> surface on the benefits.
>
> Remember the current Futures markets (grains, etc.) started
> as option-type forward contracts.

 I haven't traded options on stocks, but stock futures look good to me.

 Regards,
 Monte