RE: Multi-CPU machine for TS...? (was:the ideal computer for tradestation...)

> OK, but is there a marked performance improvement over 1 CPU...? How about
> in backtesting or optimizing...?

Unlikely.  For 2 CPU's to speed up specific operations like backtesting or
optimization, Omega would have had to program the function to take advantage of
multiple CPU's.  Not likely.

I've been running a dual-CPU machine for a few years now, and I really like it - I'm
waiting for the dual P4 (or Athlon 4) to come out before I upgrade!  (Dual P3-1000
is readily available now).  The real advantage of 2 CPU's shows in a situation like
ribau described earlier, with regard to 1 P4:

"It does make a difference. I am now able to draw, delete, and move objects such as
trend lines, arrows, and horizontal lines, at the open. Typing almost keeps up, even
at the open."

A 2-CPU machine will achieve the same result with much slower processors.
Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do the test, as I don't currently use that
type of real-time datafeed, but this has been my experience in similar situations.
What's happening at the open is that the one CPU is completely busy processing
incoming data, and hence unavailable to do anything else like move a trendline (and
Omega wrote the process in such a way as to completely monopolize the processor).
On a 2-CPU machine there's always another processor available, so you rarely see a
delay - the keyboard never goes "dead".  The advantage is not so much that
individual operations are faster as that everything is *smoother*.  For example you
can get a lot more done comfortably in other programs while running a long
optimization.