TS4 hides TS3.5 functions?

As part of some housecleaning, I looked at a few of the .asc files
saved in the "omegabak" directory that TS4 made when I "upgraded"
from TS3.5.  To my surprise, they're all now binary data instead
of the ascii text they were under 3.5!  So much for "backup."
Fortunately I'd saved an image of the old installation on another
computer, so the text isn't really lost, but I thought I'd ask
here if I'm understanding the situation correctly---did TS4.0
really have the nerve to hide those files when I installed it?
One would think that when a process makes a "backup" that the
process is reversible, but apparently not in this case.

Does anyone know a way to recover those .asc files?  If not,
I guess I've got nothing to lose by wiping out that entire
50M omegabak directory.  Nothing much else of value in there
not that Y2K has rendered TS3.5 unusable.

Cheers,

Jim