Re: weird problem with my TS2K charts

  • To: "Lhermie Philippe" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: weird problem with my TS2K charts
  • From: "BobR" <bobrabcd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 10:54:03 -0700

In the last year I encountered GS problems of two types.  One, the server
would die after startup and the other was CTREE errors.  The CTREE errors
can be caused by corruption in either or both the .idx and .dat files.
Sometimes just deleting the .idx and restarting clears up the ctree error
and other times both have to be deleted.  In neither case did the
symswap.dat have to be deleted.  The symswap.dat contains the "P" or process
codes that make the Global Server think its talking to a Signal data
manager.  Well, that's not exactly right, but essentially that's what the
outcome is.  So some feeds like DTN have to send process codes to tell the
server how to handle each symbol type of data.  DTN sends these codes 4
times a day, but not all at once.  So it may take one or two days to
populate the symswap.dat file.  I believe all of them are resent over the
weekend.  The Universal Market data server requires the "P" codes also.  If
the data feed is Signal or esignal or you are using something like qfeed and
dynastore with a Signal version of the GS, then the p codes are not an issue
because once again there is compatibility.  I believe P codes were a way of
making the GS multifeed compatible without a lot of rewriting of the server
code.  The safest way to go is to make routine backups of the entire PDS
file in the server folder.  Then if you have a crash or corrupted data you
can get running again rather fast by reinstalling that backup.  My last
fiasco occurred last week when a cpu overheated and auto shutdown.  It
resulted in corruption in the .idx files and ctree errors.  Simply deleting
those and restarting got things going in minutes.  The .idx were filled in
a minute or two and you can watch that by having the windows explorer open
to the server\pds location.

bobr