Re: Why futures truth doesn't care about stealing your system

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Why futures truth doesn't care about stealing your system
  • From: brian <polar@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 04:17:06 -0700

I have asked in the past if anyone has ever tried mathematica's technical trader package.  I used the basic mathematica package years ago in school and it's very similar to matlab in its math and graphics capabilities.  The problem with
moving to a completely "open" platform is that you have to build everything from scratch with basically no technical support.  I don't mean just buy/sell coding but more difficult but also important aspects like not allowing buy/sell entry on
limit up/down days, etc.  Someone who trades with their software will usually be responsive to making these types of changes.  However, I doubt the matlab/mathematica people will have a clue if you call for support asking why you're getting
buy signals in limit lumber when it couldn't have occurred.  As an aside, I completely agree that those packages do provide better all around number crunching and graphics - and they are portable across platforms.  But the problem as I see it
is that there is no main framework established to work with.  While I can programming is fair I prefer to use the Japanese approach and customize and upgrade an existing product rather than reinvent the wheel myself.  If at some point these
companies begin to develop software for trading system design I would happily pay for their product as I am tired of importing/exporting data across multiple applications but I don't see it occurring anytime soon.  I spoke with the sales rep
at mathematica a while back and when I asked simple questions as to what the technical trader package could do he seemed baffled.  Many places do use these packages in their risk management side as they can quickly calculate var/bp values but
I don't know anyone who uses these packages exclusively for system design.  I do know one person who developed his testing platform with APL and Gauss but he was somthing of a programming prodigy and it still took him close to two years to
work the bugs out.  Maybe if enough people call one of the major math computing companies will decide to offer something for traders but since the universe of technically proficient ssytem developers is relatively small ( compared to the
number of university research research types ) I still have my bets on an outside trading company/programmer developing a package for these products first, if at ever.