Re: Setting up a Level II business at home fast!

At 01:07 PM 3/31/2001 -0500, Bilo Selhi wrote:
>would like to ask you this,
>where have you seen on demand server equities data cleaner than
>TS Pro data? i'd like to know.

Based on some of the stock and index data I've seen coming out of TS Pro,
I'd say, regrettably, that even Quote.com with all their problems is doing
a better job.

I guess for an equities only trader TS Pro may be useful now or in the near
future. If you need a broad array of indicies, foreign real time data, or
futures, well you are out of luck at this time.

>and a comment. most on demand data server are
>local, meaning "in house" whereas TS Pro data access
>is remote, hence the chart loading is slower.

True enough, but TS Pro is slower than others.

>ps. i have seen daily profit made on a $25K account
>trading stocks consistantly in year 2000 and before.
>as high as about 2 grand a day
>and mostly in around $200-500 a day trading tech stocks.
>it is doable but you have to be fast and smart. and right now
>with tech stocks trading below $50 you can trade larger
>size and if you are good get even bigger bang for your buck.
>the key is that with an account size like that your risk of ruin
>is high. so you have to be extra careful. but it is doable.
>with $50K buying power you can trade 2000 csco and a 1/4 there
>is $500 bucks. ***all assuming you know what you are doing and you
>are good. if you are just starting out the chances are 9.9  in 10 against
>you that you will blow out or walk away.

No argument from me, a good trader can do it. A new or poor trader will
more than likely blow out their account.

Myself, I'd take that same 20,000 and trade ES or NQ. Only 1 or max 2
markets to follow.  No need for Level II. Liquid markets. Low transaction
costs. Short on a downtick. Someone with 20,000 could trade a single
contract; limit themselves to 4 points of loss per day  / 3 trades; and
last quite a while without blowing themselves up. Been there done that.

On the other hand, if one is tempted by HyperActive Trading(c), an
undisciplined trader will blow themselves up as fast or faster in futures.

I used to trade a small set of stocks (10 of the more volatile but very
liquid names) but found that moving to futures made for a simpler yet amply
rewarding business. Focusing on one market also allowed me to spend all my
time on improving analysis skills, and that probably is the biggest pay
back as a result of my switch.

I know its all personal preference, just my two cents.

Cheers all,
Michael