RE: Off-topic: Tape Backups

For removable drive enclosures, try www.dirtcheapdrives.com. They've got
them for both IDE as well as misc SCSI drives (50pin, 68pin, etc....

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Fritz [mailto:fritz@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 12:04 PM
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Off-topic: Tape Backups

> I've been using Ghost and a removable hard drive for backup for a
> couple of years now.  I have a 30GB drive and back all up in disk
> images.

That sounds interesting.  I can't find any removable HD's on
shopper.cnet.com -- what are you using?  Probably costs a bit more
than the $50 per 10GB I mentioned before.  :-)

> OK, now don't start flaming but I use a FAT32 driver on my NT 4.0
> system because I can restore individual files from the Ghost FAT32
> disk image.

Couldn't you do that if both were NTFS?  Or doesn't Ghost support
NTFS?

Somebody on RT mentioned the Plextor CDRW drives.  I did a bit of
digging and it sounds like they're getting the reliability problems
under control.  The Plextor drives (and some others) use a technology
called BURN-Proof, which allows the drive to pause recording if it
runs out of data, then resume when its buffer fills up again.
http://windows.oreilly.com/news/pchardnut_0900.html says they used to
be afraid to move their mouse while burning a CD, for fear of
interrupting the burn.  With the Plextor they successfully wrote a CD
while defragging their disk!  So CDRW's might be a reasonable
alternative after all -- if you get the right drive.

Gary