Re: Off-topic: Tape Backups

I've been using an HP Colorado II 20gB tape back up unit for about 9 months
now and am quite pleased with what it does.  For a 10-12 gB backup, I'd guess
you could look for roughly a 1.5 hour back up time with verification and
about half that without verification.   I do all my backups Friday nights or
Saturdays when I can do it with everything else shut down.  No reason ...
just policy.

The question of tape back up was discussed in a thread a few months ago and
there was one poster who was really  p***** at his HP tape back up unit and
others who just thought they were not the way to go.  Just wanted to mention
other views here.  I also looked into CD drive backup and came to the same
conclusions you seem to allude to ..... now may not be the right time if you
want convenient backup.  I concluded that the CD approach would not be as
error free or problem free or as convenient as tape backup right now.  One
problem with tape back up is the cost of the tapes.  I was also worried about
tape reliability when I bought this unit because of serious problems I'd had
with an older system.  Right out of the box I had a tape problem.  Took about
5 minutes on the phone with an HP tech to get authorization for a 'return and
replace' of the tape (NOT the drive ... it's never given a hint of a
problem).  Not a single whimper out of the tape unit or tapes since then.  I
don't do incremental backups but I'm near certain that the HP tape unit
allows that to be done conveniently as well.

Lee Scharpen